The Type (Y)A Writer
About the Author
Kristine has spent her entire career as a storyteller. Before she began writing young adult novel full-time, Kristine spent 15+ years as a Marketing Leader where she shaped, launched, and managed a diverse range of world-class brands. She has a Masters in Business from the University of Michigan where she met her husband. They reside in Chicago, IL, along with Kristine’s editorial supervisor, her puppy Romeo. She is a member of SCBWI, Sisters in Crime, and MWA. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @Type_YA_Writer.
Kristine has spent her entire career as a storyteller. Before she began writing books for teens, Kristine spent 15+ years as a Marketing Leader where she shaped, launched, and managed a diverse range of world-class brands, creating award-winning stories for billion-dollar brands such as Olay, Coca-Cola, and Snuggle.
Kristine balances her dark writing with the predictable cheerfulness of the Hallmark Channel, baking, and Taylor Swift (ex-Reputation). She is an unapologetic fan of teen shows, a soy chai latte addict, a patron of WTTW, and a fan of 'boho grandma' fashion. A former elite gymnast and college cheerleader, she now enjoys cheering for her nieces and nephew. Please do not ask Kristine to do a flip-after eight surgeries, seven concussions, six rounds of years-long physical therapy, five slipped discs, four ER trips, three sets of crutches, two cadaver parts, and one overused insurance card, she is officially Trainingwrecked.
Kristine graduated from the Univ of Minnesota and has an MBA from the Univ of Michigan where she met her husband. They reside in Chicago, IL, along with Kristine’s editorial supervisor--their puppy, Romeo. When she's not walking Romeo along the lakefront, Kristine writes from her lofted office, swathed in heating pads, her dark and thrilling tales helping to distract from her achy joints.
Member: SCBWI, Sisters in Crime, MWA, and the Writing Mastery Academy
Mentee: best-selling YA authors Tomi Adeyemi (The Writers Roadmap) and Nina LaCour (Slow Novel Lab)
Student: Master Classes from Don Maass, Curtis Brown Creative, and numerous best-selling authors via StoryStudio Chicago
Attendee: Andrea Brown Big Sur Children's Writing Workshop, Write By The Lake, Writers Institute, ThrillerFest, ThrillerMBA, Murder & Mayhem, and every SCBWI national and regional conference since 2016
What I’m Writing
I began writing six years ago after a family genealogy project inspired my first YA novel, HEAR THE CHILDREN, a dual-timeline thriller based on early American folklore. That novel is fully outlined and will sit in a box until I can travel to New Orleans and Belgium to finish my research (and until I can beg Aaron Mahnke, the creator of LORE, to partner with me to make it a series).
My second YA novel, CHASING SHADOWS, is a heart-wrenching coming-of-age romance about two morally compromised teens’ journeys to emerge together from the shadows of their separate indiscretions. It is fully edited and marinating in another box. My *very* small storage cage is becoming mostly populated with unpublished manuscripts…
OBITS, my current work-in-progress, is a YA revenge thriller. Think YA Razorblade Tears. Get ready for OBITS if you love:
- Small towns that are a cross between Rosewood and Dillon
- High school football literally on steroids
- A Boho girl with a mysterious past
- A “reformed” teen felon who may or may not renew a failed childhood pact
- Their star-crossed romance anchored by a macabre school assignment
- Bad guys in a barn
- Lots and lots of obituaries
Early praise for OBITS:
- WINNER: First-Page Contest, SCBWI-IL Prairie Writers and Illustrators Conference
- WINNER: First-Page Contest, University of WI Writers Institute
- SELECTED: Midwest Review, as a prize for the Writers Institute win
- WINNER: First Line Contest, ThrillerFest
Where I’m Going / What I’m Doing
Upcoming Conferences, Events & Classes
- Every Monday: SCBWI-IL Power Hour
- May 15: American Writers Festival, American Writers Museum
- May 15: Tension & Propulsion
- May 19: Kim Onclon sophomore book launch at The Book Cellar
- May 26: Marketing Consult with Allison K. Williams
- June 7: First Lines/Pages with Samira Ahmed, StoryStudio PJ Seminar
- September 7-11: Boucheron
To send me a message, fill out the form below.