The Type (Y)A Writer
About the Author
Kristine has spent her entire career as a storyteller. Before she began writing kidlit full-time, Kristine spent 15+ years as a Brand Builder & Marketing Leader where she shaped, launched, and managed a diverse range of world-class brands. She has a Masters in Business from the University of Michigan where she met her husband. They reside in Suamico, WI, along with Kristine’s editorial supervisor, her cat Reina. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @Type_YA_Writer.
Kristine has spent her entire career as a storyteller. Before she began writing kidlit, Kristine spent 15+ years as a Brand Builder & Marketing Leader where she shaped, launched, and managed a diverse range of world-class brands. Through product innovation, design & packaging, TV advertising, social media marketing, and more, Kristine and her teams created award-winning stories for household brands including Old Spice, Gillette, Olay, Maybelline, and Snuggle as well as other billion-dollar, mid-size, and entrepreneurial brands with whom she consulted as the owner of Little Foot Big Feat LLC.
Kristine is now a full-time children's book author. Both she and her husband, Gary, are from small Midwestern towns. They, along with their kitty, now live in Suamico, WI a village outside of Green Bay where everything from trash cans to office buildings are Packer green and gold…except from October to April when everything is white. In the early mornings you can find her strolling or snowshoeing through the nearby waterfowl preserve with a writing podcast streaming in her earbuds.
Kristine balances her dark writing with the predictable cheerfulness of the Hallmark Channel, baking, and Taylor Swift (ex-Reputation). A former college cheerleader, she enjoys cheering for her nieces and nephew, although flips and partner stunts are no longer part of her sideline repertoire. She is an unapologetic fan of teen TV shows, a soy chai latte addict, a patron of NPR, and a grown-up Resident Advisor (aka HOA Board member).
Kristine is a graduate of University of Minnesota, where she majored in Marketing and Spanish. She received her MBA from the University of Michigan and is a self-educated writer.
What I’m Writing
I began writing three years ago after a family genealogy project inspired my first YA novel, HEAR THE CHILDREN, a dual-timeline thriller based on early American folklore. That novel is fully outlined and will sit in a box until I can travel to New Orleans and Belgium to finish my research (and until I can beg Aaron Mahnke, the creator of LORE, to partner with me to make it a series).
My second YA novel, CHASING SHADOWS, is a heart-wrenching coming-of-age romance about two morally compromised teens’ journeys to emerge together from the shadows of their separate indiscretions. It is fully edited and marinating in another box.
OBITS, my current work-in-progress, is my third work. It won the first-page contest at the SCBWI-IL Prairie Writers and Illustrators Conference and at the Univ of WI Writers Institute. As a prize for the latter, it was selected for the Midwest Review. Get ready for OBITS if you love:
- Small towns that are a cross between Rosewood and Dillon
- High school football literally on steroids
- A Boho girl with a mysterious past
- A “reformed” teen felon who may or may not renew a failed childhood pact
- Their star-crossed romance anchored by a macabre school assignment
- Bad guys in a barn
- Lots and lots of obituaries
The Type (Y)A Writer
There are no past post at the moment.
Where I’m Going / What I’m Doing
Ongoing / Upcoming Conferences, Events & Meet-Ups
- 4/8: Jane Friedman: “Email Newsletters”
- 4/25: Path to Publication, SCBWI NE WI
- 5/12: Dr. Katherine Ramsland: “Forensic Psychology 101: What Crime Writers Should Know”, SinC
- 5/19: Jane Cleland: “Master Plot Twists”, SinC
- SCBWI NE WI Meet-Up, 2019 bi-monthly
- Critique Groups (2) on-going
Writing Conferences & Events I’ve Attended
- SLOW NOVEL LAB with Nina LaCour, 2020
- David Corbett: “Creating 3-Dimensional, 4-Corner Conflict”, SInC, 2020
- Mary Kole: “Writing Character Interiority”, 2020
- Dan Blank: “Great Marketing Begins with Rock-Solid Writings Habits”, Writers Institute, 2020
- MT Anderson: “TEXTURE: The Weave of the Narrative Dream”, SCBWI West Central NY, 2020
- “Writing the Middle Grade Mystery”, SCBWI Dakotas, 2020
- “How to Automate Your Marketing & Find Your First 10,000 Readers”, Joanna Penn & Nick Stephenson, 2020
- Paula Munier, “Free Advice Friday”, 2020
- SAVE THE CAT Webinar, 2020
- Big Sur Children’s Writers Workshop, 2019
- SCBWI Marvelous Midwest, 2019
- ITW Thriller School, 2019
- Write by the Lake, PLOTTING WITH URGENCY, 2019
- Village Writing School, MYSTERY & THRILLER SUMMIT, 2019
- Fox Cities Book Festival, 2019
- Toni Adeyemi’s YOUR PAGE TURNING PLOT, 2019
- SCBWI Chicago events, 2018
- Printers Row Lit Fest, 2018
- SCBWI IL Prairie Writers & Illustrators Day, 2018
- WRITERS INSTITUTE, University of Wisconsin, 2018
- Write by the Lake, MASTER CLASS; FINISH, POLISH, PUBLISH, 2018
- Northwestern Summer Writers Conference, 2017
- Write by the Lake, YOUR FIRST NOVEL, 2017
To send me a message, fill out the form below.